**Click the images below to enlarge and see description**
In 1804, Daniel Spencer bought a farm about 1 1 ⁄ 2 miles north of Ogden Center. When the Erie Canal opened, the farm, through which the canal passed at the Canawaugus Road, was sold to become the first village lots. As a port on the canal, the area was called Spencer's Basin and later changed to Spencerport.
On April 22, 1867 the New York State Legislature incorporated Spencerport as a Village and William Slayton was elected as its first mayor.