Greenwood is a town in Steuben County, New York, United States. The population was 849 at the 2000 census.
A pioneer road was cut through the town in the 18th Century, but no settlers remained in the town. The first permanent settlers arrived around 1820. Salt production was an early industry. The main industry today is deer hunting, for which the town claims to be the top deer-take town in New York State.
Greenwood was formed in 1827 from the Towns of Canisteo and Troupsburg. Part of Greenwood was used to form the Town of West Union in 1845, but territory was regained from the Town of Jasper in 1848.
By the early 20th century, agriculture had established itself as the primary economic activity in the town. Farming has since declined significantly, as in many parts of rural America, and forest cover has largely returned to many areas.
From November 16, 1896, through June 1936 Greenwood was served by the New York & Pennsylvania Railway (and predecessors) as part of its Canisteo NY to Ceres NY (via Greenwood NY, Genesee PA, Oswayo and Shingle House PA) main line. Following severe floods in July 1935 the railroad was partially out of service and its abandonment in June 1936 was readily approved by the Interstate Commerce Commission which from an early date approved railroad abandonment to promote highway truck use. The loss of railroad service did much to promote the economic withering of the Greenwood area.